RVA continued…

The RVA guys become my “back up dancers”

The concert at RVA

The keepers with their orphaned elephants

This little baby black rhino was the size of a medium-sized dog

Yes, we were that close. And we’re looking at you, too.

My son playing with the Little Lambs

My daughter playing with the Little Lambs

The Little Lambs show off their new clothes – GO BUCKS!!

He’d never had a new piece of clothing before.

We’re trying to post one more time before we know we won’t have access for a few days. Here, it is very hard to get connected, but we leave tomorrow for Maasai Mara, and we know there won’t be any way of connecting from there. We’ll be in Mombasa by Thursday, and hopefully will be able to connect again then to update here.

We’ve had a great couple of days. The kids here at RVA are pretty amazing. Their faith is so sincere, and I’ve had a great time working with them on music. Thursday night I spoke at Koinonia and sang a song to close. Right when I began, the keyboard decided it didn’t want to make sound anymore. I was going to sing it a cappella, but then I saw one of the kids from the band I did the workshop with the night before. I had a lead sheet, so I had him come up and play the guitar for me. He’d never heard the song, but he did a great job – shout out to you, Josh! Thanks.

Friday morning we went to the Maasai market and got presents for people. It was really fun, but also overwhelming – so much art, so many people, so much haggling. Our best purchase was a carved giraffe about as tall as my son (wish us luck getting it home in one piece!) for 2000 shillings – less than 30 dollars. It’s funny, some things are very comparable price-wise, and then others are really inexpensive.

Friday night was my concert at RVA, and that was truly fun. I’ve had the whole week getting to know people here, which is a very different experience, and so everyone was really excited for the show. We even got cell phones waving, which was fun. For one song, I had 6 senior guys come up (we surprised them) and be my “back up dancers” – it was pretty hilarious.

Saturday we went to the animal orphanage and got to see and pet about 15 baby elephants. We also got to pet a baby black rhinoceros, which is amazing. There are only about 2000 black rhinos left in the wild. He was so funny – he was totally playful, and kept jumping and running around like a puppy. He was about the size of a medium sized dog. All of these animals are released back to the wild, and are only exposed to humans other than their handlers for about 20 minutes a week – they don’t want them to get too comfortable with people. Then we went on to feed the giraffes – note to self: giraffe saliva is very slimy. You learn something new every day.

Saturday night I met the people in charge of Little Lambs, the AIDS orphanage. We sorted clothes for the kids that we brought with us, and went out to a local Kenyan place, a little hole in the wall called Mama Chiku’s. It was all great food, and we had a great time together.

This morning I led worship for the school. They sure know how to sing here! Nathan and I led the singing and worked with the worship band here. These students are really talented, and a lot of fun to work with. Add to that 600 people singing their hearts out, and you have a pretty awesome morning.

This afternoon was so fun, and so hard. We went to Little Lambs and played with all the kids for a while. Then they sang for me, and we sang for them, and we also taught them some of the kids music. After that, we distributed clothes. They were so excited about their new stuff, and all went and put it on right over the clothes they were wearing. Then they had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chai that some of the students from RVA had put together. When it was time to leave, there was one little girl in particular who just wouldn’t let go of me. They were so full of joy, it’s easy to forget the situation they are in, but when you realize how few hugs they get, it just breaks your heart. I cried a lot of the way home. The people there do an awesome job, but that is just not how it’s meant to be.

Tonight I went back and worked with the worship team, and then stayed to watch them do SNL – Sunday Night Live Worship. We sang the line “Let my heart be broken by the things that break Yours” and I cried again. God is certainly doing that.

Please pray for our safety as we travel – we’re leaving our friends who have really taken care of us, and hope we know what we’re doing. 🙂 Pray also that God will show us how to help more here, and what He intends for this trip. Thank you!

One Response to “RVA continued…”

  1. Megan says:

    Wow-what an amazing time you are having. I can’t wait to hear about the whole trip and share in your excitment!

Leave a Reply